Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Timon of Athens, Shakespeare

Since this is my first Shakespeare post, I'll let you know from the start that I'm a fanatic. I've been slowly working my way through a leather bound version of the complete works, and have a new goal to see all of the plays performed on stage. I'm making steady progress. I have to admit that I'm partial to the comedies over the tragedies and like the histories best of all. I'm only in Act 4 currently, but Timon of Athens thus far is not one of my favourites. It appears to be more of a morality play than an actual examination of the complexities of human character. Timon is supposed to be likeable but is a bit simplistic, as are the fawning lords who take his gifts without supporting him in return. It's hard to be sympathetic to someone who spent his entire fortune without realizing it.

Rating: one for the collection, but probably better on stage

No comments: