Tuesday, September 18, 2007

In Cold Blood, Truman Capote

I find that I'm enjoying this book. The language is simple - giving the impression of a journalistic report. The details are extensive, however, and the investigative capacity of Capote is very impressive. I have to admit my views of the book are somewhat tempered my the recent viewing of the movie, which I thought was well done. I find myself imaging Hoffman instead of Capote interviewing all of the people discussed, and am amazed by the depths that both witnesses and criminals confessed. All that being said, however, it doesn't stand alone as a piece of literature. As with most "based-on-reality" stories, there's a certain freedom of language and identification which is missing. It is a story and not a work of art.

Rating: get it at the library, you aren't likely to want to read it again

No comments: