Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce

Disclosure: I read this immediately on the coattails of Ulysses and suspect that my relief at the termination of Ulysses may have clouded my feelings for Portrait.

In all, I rather enjoyed this short novel. The life of Stephen Daedalus, which is said to parallel Joyce, is documented from his youth to his development as an artist. I felt like the novel immersed the reader in the trappings of Irish life - boarding school, Catholicism (and a near-Jesuit recruitment), interactions with classmates, Irish nationalism, disaffection, aesthetics.... Relationships with family and friends both play prominent roles in this novel. While perhaps not the vaunted literary masterpiece that Ulysses is reputed to be, Portrait was infinitely more enjoyable.

No comments: